Ordering & Cancelling
Same-day orders, and orders placed after 3 pm for the next day, are placed into the baking queue immediately so these orders cannot be changed or refunded.
Future Orders may be changed as follows but please note, if we have made custom toppers, our cost will be deducted from the refund:
- For cupcakes – All cancellations/modifications must be made by 3 pm the day before pick up or delivery.
- For Homestyle and Designer cakes- All cancellations or modifications to Homestyle cakes must be made by 3pm the day before the pick up/delivery date, and for Designer cakes, by 3pm two days prior to pick up/delivery.
Your order is baked just for you so we can’t do refunds or credits for cupcake orders canceled after 3pm before the pickup date. (Please see cancellation policy above for cancellation times for Cakes).
If you are unable to pick up your order, we can keep it in our freezer for up to 2 business days but garnishes will deteriorate with freezing. Due to limited freezer space, frozen orders are discarded after 2 business days.
Future orders of cupcakes and cakes must be placed by 3pm, the day before the pick up or delivery date.
We offer a limited menu from 3pm the day before to 11am the day of pick up or delivery. Pick up times for this menu are between 12-4pm and delivery times are 3-6pm. Place an order here.
Yes, until 11 am, Monday-Friday we offer a limited last minute menu for pick up starting at 12. Delivery is available between 3-6pm. Place an order here.
We do our very best to accommodate advance orders but when we reach baking capacity for a given date, our commitment to “fresh-baked-today” requires us to close advance orders.
We use a generous amount of icing on our Mini and Classic cupcakes so for customers looking for a lighter treat, if you request “half icing”, the bakers will pipe approximately half the quantity of icing on these sizes. The photo below shows both the Classic and Mini size with both full icing and half icing. Half icing cannot be requested on the Homestyle Cakes as less icing on those products would not be enough to cover the cake base.
Our Homestyle Cakes are as follows:
- 4 inch round cake serving 4 to 6 people,
- 6 inch round cakes serving 6 to 8 people,
- 9 inch round cakes serving 12 to 15 people; and
- 8 inch by 12 inch rectangle cakes that serve approximately 24 people.
* Please note that our serving estimates are suggestions only and may vary depending on the appetites of your guests.
Dressing Up Orders
You can dress up your cupcake order with custom fondant toppers or plastic picks.
Dress up your Mini or Classic size cupcake order by requesting custom fondant toppers made with edible food colouring printed on fondant shapes.
You will need to provide the image to us in a JPG (minimum 600px wide; PG-rated logo/graphic only). We do our very best to achieve an exact match to the colours in the artwork provided to us, however, due to the nature of food-safe colours, we cannot guarantee this. We do not recommend freezing custom fondant toppers.
We have an assortment of plastic picks to dress up your cupcake order for birthdays or holidays. These can be added when ordering online on the “Dress Up Your Order” page.
Choose between a message piped in icing, or an image directly printed on your cake with edible food colouring. Either option can be ordered by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by ordering online.
If requesting a printed image, you will need to provide it to us in a JPG (minimum 1200px wide; PG-rated image only).
We do our very best to achieve an exact match to the colours in the artwork provided to us, however, due to the nature of food-safe colours, we cannot guarantee this.
Homestyle Cakes with either piped messages or a printed image freeze well.
Yes, online and in the stores, we sell small birthday-cake type candles that we can insert into regular size cupcakes. If you are ordering mini cupcakes, we will place the candles into the box for you to insert later.
Yes, we have beautiful Prairie Girl Bakery photo greeting cards which have a photograph of our luscious cupcakes on the front and are blank inside to write your own message. Please indicate in the Comments section if you would like the card which features cupcakes decorated with a birthday motif; the other PGB photo greeting cards are appropriate for any occasion.
We will be happy to write any message you like in the card if your order is being delivered.
Cupcakes & Homestyle Cakes
Here are a few tips to keep in mind in transporting and storing your PGB cupcakes and homestyle cakes:
- The cardboard insert in the cupcake box is intended to keep your cupcake upright but unfortunately, if the box is tipped over, the cupcakes will fall out. Please try not to tip the box. To minimize the chance of tipping the cupcakes out of the insert, if you have requested a bag for your cupcakes, you may wish to keep a hand on the bottom of the box to ensure it stays upright.
- Traveling can be hard on our freshly made cupcakes and homestyle cakes because of their butter-based icings, so if you are taking them by plane, train or automobile, refrigerate or freeze them first to let the icings set. In this way, they will arrive at your destination in pristine condition.
- If you are ordering your cupcakes or homestyle cakes online and you plan to travel any distance after you pick them up, feel free to ask us to chill your order by selecting that option as you are checking out online, or by asking our Catering Manager if you are ordering by phone or email.
- If you need to store your cupcakes or homestyle cakes, keep them at cool room temperature because the fridge will dry them out. For overnight storage, place them in an airtight container and freeze (no more than a week please) and then, 2 to 3 hours before you wish to serve them, bring the cupcakes or cakes to room temperature. Our delicious butter and cream cheese icings are best enjoyed soft and creamy so try to give Prairie Girl cupcakes enough time to thaw.
- Don’t microwave any of our products to thaw them as this can easily cause the icings or chocolate pieces to melt.
For more information about Cupcake Care, please download our Cupcake Care Tips Sheet.
For optimal enjoyment of your beautiful designer cake, please note:
- Our delicious house-made buttercream is intended to be served at room temperature.
- If the venue is normal room temperature, keep the cake boxed until serving time – do not refrigerate it.
- For warm venues, including outdoor parties, store the boxed cake in the fridge until 30 minutes before serving, then allow it to come to room temperature.
- Leftover designer cake can be covered with plastic wrap for up to 2 days at room temperature or up to 2 weeks in the freezer. Storing leftover cake in the fridge will dry it out.
- Frozen leftover cake will require up to 2 hours at room temperature to thaw and come to room temperature.
- If you have a tiered cake, please note that the bottom tier of your cake has wooden dowels to support the weight of the top tier(s). These dowels can be easily removed from the cake before cutting the bottom tier.
We strive to maintain a completely nut free bakery, safe for our customers with peanut and tree nut allergies. In so doing, we take the following precautions:
- Buying only products that do not contain peanuts or tree nuts.
- Only accepting completely sealed ingredients (no opened bags, boxes or cartons) from our suppliers to minimize the possibility of cross-contamination between our ingredients and nut products prior to arriving at PGB.
- Requiring all team members to wear uniforms and shoes that are used only at PGB and are kept separate and apart in a nut-free laundry bag from their regular clothing and street footwear.
- Forbidding to the extent possible the bringing into the premises, both in our kitchens and in the retail areas, any type of nut product for personal consumption.
Dairy and Eggs
In our non-vegan baking, we use eggs, butter, milk, cream and cream cheese so people with sensitivities or allergies to these products should not eat Prairie Girl’s traditional (non-vegan)baked goods. In our vegan baking, we use reasonable precautions in selecting ingredients which meet these dietary restrictions, as advised by the manufacturer. We also do our best to avoid cross-contamination among batches of our traditional baking and our vegan baking. As well, we package vegan baked goods in a box only containing vegan products to further minimize the possibility of cross-contamination.
In our gluten free baked goods, we use reasonable precautions in selecting ingredients which meet this dietary restriction, as advised by the manufacturer. We also do our best to avoid cross-contamination among batches of our traditional baking and our gluten free baking. As well, we package gluten free baked goods in a box only containing gluten free products to further minimize the possibility of cross-contamination.
We use products containing soy lecithin and soybean oil in many of our cupcakes, and in our vegan cupcakes, we use soy protein products such as soy milk. Accordingly, people with sensitivities or allergies to soy products should not eat Prairie Girl baking.
Yes, we deliver to many places throughout Toronto and it is easy to request delivery when you order online.
The minimum order for delivery is $24.50.
Because of the number of deliveries our delivery person makes each day, although we can’t confirm an exact delivery, we can confirm that an order will be delivered in your choice of these windows:
Monday to Saturday: 9am-12pm, 12-3pm, 3-6pm
The minimum order for delivery is $24.50.
The delivery fee is calculated based on the location’s postal code – not town or city name – and is based on the distance. Because we use a specialized delivery service to ensure your cupcakes and cakes arrive safely, the cost of our delivery service starts at $25. As soon as you add an item to the shopping cart, you will see the delivery fee for your postal code.
We are really sorry if we are unable to fill your delivery request due to our volumes. If that happens and you are unable to pick up your order at any of our stores, you could consider sending a courier. We do not arrange for couriers and if you choose this option, please make sure that any courier service is aware of the delicate and perishable nature of baked goods especially cupcakes and cakes. If you ask us to do so, we can chill the order before its pick up by the courier to help in its safe delivery.
We do not arrange for couriers but you are free to send one if you wish. If you choose this option, please make sure that the courier service is aware of the delicate and perishable nature of baked goods especially cupcakes and cakes. If you ask us to do so, we can chill the order before its pick up by the courier to help in its safe delivery.
When confirming a delivery order, you will be asked to agree to the following, so we’re all on the same page about your delivery:
- We can’t go past the concierge/main floor entrance of a residential building
- If the recipient(s) is not around, we’ll try to find a receptionist
- If that doesn’t work, we’ll look for a reasonable place to leave the order such as a front porch
If all this fails, yes, we will have to give up and your order will be forfeited
Last point: although we sincerely hope your order remains in perfect condition, we can’t be responsible for weather, animals, or hungry coworkers who have their way with it after our delivery per your instructions.